Jaguar Land Rover Shuts Down UK Production After Cyberattack Disrupts Systems

Jaguar Land Rover was forced to suspend production and retail systems this week after a cyberattack disrupted operations at multiple UK plants, including its Halewood facility. The incident, which coincided with the rollout of new vehicle registrations, prompted an immediate shutdown of company systems to contain the breach. While JLR said there was no evidence customer data had been stolen, manufacturing and dealer networks were left severely disrupted.

Jaguar Land Rover was forced to shut down production and retail systems this week after a cyberattack disrupted operations at key UK sites, including the Halewood plant in Merseyside, the company said on Tuesday. JLR described the disruption as “severe” and confirmed it had taken systems offline as a precaution while it works to restore operations in a controlled manner. The carmaker said there was no evidence that customer data had been stolen.

The incident began as Britain’s “75-plate” registrations hit showrooms, among the busiest weeks of the year for dealers. Workers at Halewood were told early on Monday not to report for duty as the company enacted a protective shutdown across applications that support manufacturing and sales. Dealers reported they could not register new cars on Monday, compounding the timing problem during plate-change week.

A group of English-speaking hackers with links to the attack on Marks & Spencer this year claimed responsibility on Wednesday via a Telegram channel that combines the names of Scattered Spider, Lapsus$, and ShinyHunters. The channel posted a screenshot that appeared to show access to internal JLR systems. Britain’s National Crime Agency said it was aware of the incident and was working with partners to understand its impact.

Operational fallout has extended beyond JLR’s plants. Industry sources told The Guardian that suppliers, which make just-in-time deliveries to JLR factories, could lose tens of millions of pounds in sales if stoppages persist. The dealer network’s registration issues on Monday added pressure during a crucial sales window.

The company’s parent, Tata Motors, told investors JLR was “working at pace” to resolve global IT problems affecting the business. Tata Motors shares fell about 0.9 percent in Mumbai on Monday after the disclosure.

The attack lands as JLR is managing a challenging year. Underlying pre-tax profit fell 49 percent to £351 million in the quarter to June. The company delayed the launches of its electric Range Rover and next-generation Jaguar models until 2026 and announced up to 500 management job cuts in July.

PB Balaji, currently Tata Motors’ chief financial officer, is due to become JLR’s chief executive in November, succeeding Adrian Mardell, who is retiring. Earlier this year, JLR paused exports to the United States amid tariff uncertainty; a subsequent UK–US deal reduced those car export tariffs, but only after the quarter in which profits fell.

This incident is not JLR’s first run-in with cybercriminals this year alone. In March, hackers affiliated with the HELLCAT group claimed to have leaked internal material, including source code and employee details, which researchers later reported a second data dump by a separate actor. While those earlier breaches focused on data, the current episode underscores the operational stakes when attackers reach systems tied to production and retail.

JLR has invested heavily in its digital backbone. In September 2023, it expanded a five-year partnership with Tata Consultancy Services valued at more than £800 million to simplify and manage its IT estate and accelerate digital transformation. That outlay is now being tested by the demands of recovery and the need to harden the boundary between administrative networks and factory-floor systems.

The company said it is restoring applications in phases and declined to provide a timeline for full resumption of normal operations. As of Tuesday, it maintained that no evidence had emerged of stolen customer data, even as manufacturing and retail remained severely disrupted.

For corrections, news tips, and any other content requests, please send us an email at [email protected].

Hot this week

Here is What You Need to Know Why “Sidewalk Ban” Faces Backlash

The sidewalk ban ordinance in Albuquerque has raised concerns over people facing homelessness. Here is what you need to know.

Soaring Housing Costs Push Santa Fe Police Into Rio Rancho

Santa Fe police officers are increasingly living in Rio Rancho due to soaring housing costs, raising concerns about community connection and public safety.

Police: 4 Men Plotted Deadly Ambush Near UNM

A fatal shooting near the University of New Mexico campus is being investigated as a possible planned ambush after four suspects were taken into custody in the killing of 23-year-old Eden Rock. Police say surveillance footage showed the men hiding behind a dumpster before attacking and shooting the victim in an alley south of Central Avenue.

Sip, Savor, Celebrate, and More —Cocktail Week Takes Over New Mexico

New Mexico Cocktail Week returns for its fourth year, highlighting the state’s growing craft cocktail scene with events, tastings, and a shift toward mocktails.

APS Superintendent Honors Graduates: ‘Make the World a Better Place’

In her weekly message, Albuquerque Public Schools Superintendent Gabriella Durán Blakey recognized Class of 2026 graduates and thanked those behind their success.

Topics

Here is What You Need to Know Why “Sidewalk Ban” Faces Backlash

The sidewalk ban ordinance in Albuquerque has raised concerns over people facing homelessness. Here is what you need to know.

Soaring Housing Costs Push Santa Fe Police Into Rio Rancho

Santa Fe police officers are increasingly living in Rio Rancho due to soaring housing costs, raising concerns about community connection and public safety.

Police: 4 Men Plotted Deadly Ambush Near UNM

A fatal shooting near the University of New Mexico campus is being investigated as a possible planned ambush after four suspects were taken into custody in the killing of 23-year-old Eden Rock. Police say surveillance footage showed the men hiding behind a dumpster before attacking and shooting the victim in an alley south of Central Avenue.

Sip, Savor, Celebrate, and More —Cocktail Week Takes Over New Mexico

New Mexico Cocktail Week returns for its fourth year, highlighting the state’s growing craft cocktail scene with events, tastings, and a shift toward mocktails.

APS Superintendent Honors Graduates: ‘Make the World a Better Place’

In her weekly message, Albuquerque Public Schools Superintendent Gabriella Durán Blakey recognized Class of 2026 graduates and thanked those behind their success.

Las Cruces Catholic Diocese Pushes Back Against Border Wall Land Grab That Threatens Sacred Mount Cristo Rey

The U.S. government is seeking to seize land owned by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Las Cruces for border wall construction near Mount Cristo Rey, a revered pilgrimage site in southern New Mexico. The diocese argues the move violates religious freedom protections and threatens access to sacred ground visited by thousands each year.

Officials and U.S. Air Force Agree on PFAS Cleanup Plan at Cannon

In New Mexico, environmental officials have reached an agreement...

Agencies Focus on Outreach as Screwworm Threat Approaches

New Mexico agencies are focusing on outreach as the New World screwworm approaches, raising concerns among ranchers about livestock health and economic impacts. This headline matters because the screwworm, eradicated from the U.S. decades ago, has resurged in Mexico and threatens to cross the border.

Related Articles